Chapter 7 is very long and you may feel a bit lost. We’re going to be focusing on Elya Yelnats’ story. Put the events in order.
- Elya was sad and explained his problem to Mme. Zeroni.
- To help the tiny piglet grow, Mme. Zeroni gave Elya special instructions: You must carry the piglet everyday to the top of the mountain and let it drink from a special stream. As it drinks you are to sing to him a special song. On the day of Myra’s fifteenth birthday, it will be fatter than Igor’s pigs. After you give the pig to Myra’s father, I want you to carry me up the mountain, and I want you to sing the song for me. If you do not do this you will be cursed.
- Stanley’s great-great-grandfather was named Elya Yelants. He was born in Latvia. When he was fifteen years old he fell in love with Myra Menke.
- Myra could not decide if she wanted to marry Elya or Igor. Elya was upset and let Igor marry Myra.
- Elya followed Mme. Zeroni’s instructions.
- Igor wanted to trade a fat pig for Myra’s hand in marriage.
- Mme. Zerone agreed to help Elya and gave him a piglet.
- He decided to go to America. He forgot to carry Mme. Zeroni up the mountain.
- Igor Barkow was a fat, old pig farmer. He was also in love with Myra Menke.
- But, on the last day he did not carry the pig up the mountain he took a bath. The two pigs weighed the same.
Now watch this clip from the movie. Does it correspond with what you had imagined?